LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON, Utah (ABC4 News)- An avalanche closed Little Cottonwood Friday morning. This is the second day the canyon has been closed.
Around 6 a.m. officials reported a major natural avalanche that hit Snowbird entry 1. Crews are working to clear 8 to 9 feet deep snow from the road.
The Utah Avalanche Center issued a “HIGH” avalanche danger at all elevations Friday.
American Fork Canyon was briefly closed for avalanche control as well as Big Cottonwood Canyon about 9 a.m.
In addition, the town of Alta has been placed under interlodge.
“Critical everybody in Alta remain indoors until further notice. Lodges: be prepared to implement your maximum security Int. plans,” a tweet from the Alta Central account Friday morning read.
There is no estimated time when the road will reopen.
To check current avalanche conditions, click here.
For updates on road closures visit udot.utah.gov
Updates will be posted as more information becomes available.
What others are reading:
- Utah mayor enlists help of NFL-player sons to demonstrate proper social distancing
- Utah boy shows appreciation for truck drivers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Internet safety for youth during COVID-19
- Joe Ingles shares his pandemic experience as a parent of a special needs child
- HBO to stream 500 hours of programming for free