If you’re in the market for a new car, there has never been a better time to go electric. Chief Sustainability Officer for the University of Utah, Amy Wildermuth, and Kate Bowman from Utah Clean Energy explain why now is the best time to buy an electric car.
- Clear the air! With winter inversion season in full swing, switching to a car with zero emissions is a no-brainer. Vehicle emissions contribute to nearly half of all criteria air pollutants (the most harmful types of air pollution) in Utah. By switching to electric vehicles, we can help reduce air pollution immediately.
- Never pay for gasoline again! When you make the switch to an all-electric vehicle you can expect to pay about half as much to charge your car than compared to fueling a gasoline vehicle. And that’s at today’s lower gas prices.
- EVs are fun to drive! With high torque, a low center of gravity, and no gears to change EVs deliver a smooth and quiet ride. The regenerative braking technology actually allows you to charge your battery when you slow down for a red light, or coast down Parley’s Canyon.
- Peace of mind! EV’s have far fewer moving parts and therefore require less maintenance. No oil changes, no spark plugs, no transmission fluid, etc. All in all, electric vehicles are less expensive to maintain than conventional vehicles and require fewer trips to your mechanic.
- Get a great deal! Through the University of Utah’s “U Drive Electric” program, you can save thousands of dollars on a new electric vehicle, but only until January 31. Coupled with state and federal tax credits, the savings on electric vehicles are really amazing. Eligible models include electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles from BMW, Ford, and Nissan. Visit www.udriveelectric.org for more information.
The “U Drive Electric” is a program of the University of Utah’s Sustainability Resource Center, in partnership with UCAIR and Utah Clean Energy. The University of Utah has a goal to implement creative solutions to lessen its environmental impact and has negotiated a discounted rate for a range of electric vehicles.
The University has pre-screened dealers and arranged for substantial discounts on electric vehicles for members of the University of Utah campus community.