LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Pac-12 will move its football championship game to Las Vegas in 2020 and 2021.
Commissioner Larry Scott announced the decision Wednesday at the start of Pac-12 media day in Hollywood.
The league title game has been played at Levi’s Stadium in suburban Santa Clara, California, since 2014. The event has struggled for solid attendance in the past half-decade, including a noticeably empty stadium for Washington’s win over Utah last year.
After the upcoming season, the game will move to party-friendly Las Vegas and the Raiders’ new stadium, which is still under construction just west of the Strip.
The Pac-12 men’s basketball tournament has been played in Las Vegas since 2013, and conference leaders have credited the move with boosting attendance.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Ryan Newman remains hospitalized after horrific Daytona 500 crash
- Hamlin and Newman contrast risk and reward at Daytona 500
- PHOTOS: Denny Hamlin celebrates Daytona 500 win
- Ryan Newman in serious condition after scary crash at Daytona 500
- Racing world takes to social media reacting to Ryan Newman crash at Daytona 500