In 2002 the Utah Olympic Park was a major venue for the Winter Olympic Games. Today, the venue is still a training center for several events.
The combination of the “greatest snow on Earth” and the Olympic training venues makes Park City, Utah and surrounding cities a perfect home for many athletes. Here’s a final list of athletes headed to the Olympics this year. They are either from Utah or currently living here:
- Ted Ligety — Park City — Alpine Skiing
- Megan McJames – Park City — Alpine Skiing
- Nathan Chen – Salt Lake City — Figure Skating
- Jerica Tandiman – Kearns — Long track speed skating
- Madison Olsen – Park City — Freestyle Aerials
- Rosie Brennan — Park City — Cross Country Skiing
- Taylor Morris — Salt Lake City — Luge
- Sarah Hendrickson – Salt Lake City — Ski Jumping
- Abby Ringquist – Salt Lake City — Ski Jumping
- Faye Gulini – Salt Lake City — Snowboard Cross
- McRae Williams — Park City — Freesking
- Jared Goldberg — Alpine Skiing (Born in Boston)
- Chris Fogt — Bobsled (Born in Florida)
- Will Rhoads — Ski Jumping (Born in New Hampshire)
- Lana Gehring — Short track speed skating (Illinois)
The games begin February 8th. Best of luck to team USA!!!
Kierra Dotson and Dana Greene contributed to this story.