DENVER (KDVR) — Dozens of players battling it out for roster spots for the Denver Broncos were left disappointed Tuesday as the team was required to whittle down to 53 players.
The Broncos started Tuesday with a trade, sending linebacker Malik Reed to the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to multiple reports. The Broncos will reportedly receive late-round compensation for the move.
The team also tightened up the quarterback room, cutting Josh Johnson, and officially making Brett Rypien the backup for quarterback Russell Wilson.
NFL Network’s Tom Pelissaro reported the Broncos waived offensive lineman Quinn Bailey. KOA’s Brandon Krisztal has a source that said the team also waived wide receiver Darrius Shepherd. Krisztal calls Sheppard a practice squad candidate, considering the team lost receiver Tim Patrick to a season-ending injury during camp, and may want more depth at the position.
One of the cuts that may have caught some off guard, if they weren’t keeping a close eye on special teams this training camp, is cutting veteran punter Sam Martin, a move the team announced Monday. Martin was a top-five punter in 2021, the move will clear some cap space and make way for Corliss Waitman, who by all accounts, competed with Martin in camp and has a better salary value.
Multiple reports indicate the Broncos also waived wide receiver Kendall Hinton, who famously started at quarterback for the Broncos in 2020 when the entire quarterback room was in violation of the league’s COVID protocols. Hinton may be a practice squad candidate the Broncos may want to keep if he clears waivers.
Krisztal reports based on a source that the team released veteran tight end Eric Tomlinson, but “wouldn’t be surprised” to see him back with the team if the Broncos place tight end Greg Dulcich on the injury reserved list, which would free up a roster spot.
Just after the 2 p.m. deadline, the team tweeted “Our initial 53-man roster is set.” A follow up tweet about Jalen Virgil said, “For the 18th time in the last 19 years, a rookie college free agent has made our initial 53-man roster out of training camp.”
- Sam Martin, punter
- Josh Johnson, quarterback
- Eric Tomlinson, tight end
- Mike Purcell, defensive lineman
- Bless Austin, cornerback
- Jeremiah Gemmel, inside linebacker
- Sebastian Gutierrez, tackle
- JaQuan Hardy, running back
- Donnie Lewis Jr., cornerback (injured)
- Quinn Bailey, offensive lineman
- Darrius Shepherd, wide receiver
- Kendall Hinton, wide receiver
- Netane Muti, offensive lineman
- Seth Williams, wide receiver
- McTelvin Agim, defensive lineman
- Jonathan Harris, defensive lineman
- Faion Hicks, cornerback
- Zack Johnson, guard
- Jonathan Kongbo, outside linebacker
- Kana’i Mauga, inside linebacker
- JaQuan McMillian, cornerback
- Michael Niese, guard
- Devine Ozigbo, running back
- Dylan Parham, tight end
- J.R. Reed, safety
- Seth Williams, wide reciever
- Malik Reed, linebacker — Traded to Pittsburgh
- Brandon Johnson, wide receiver — reserve/injured
The final roster hasn’t been publicly announced yet, but the team is holding a 3 p.m. news conference following the final cuts. This story will continue to be updated.