SANDY, Utah (ABC4) — A thick plume of black smoke was visible across the Salt Lake Valley on Friday afternoon, the result of a fire near 8600 South in Sandy.

Smoke from a fire near 8600 South on Friday, Nov. 10 (Josh Rose/KTVX)

The smoke was first visible just before 1 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10. Photos submitted to ABC4 from Daybreak residents show the smoke stretching across the Wasatch Front.

Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Ryan McConaghie told ABC4 the fire started in the workyard of Superior Buck & Steel, located at 8685 South 700 West in Sandy.

Employees using metal grinding equipment in the yard reported sparks igniting weeds and spreading to containers of paraffin wax used as a mold release. The yard became engulfed in flames and although there is no reported structural damage, several cars near the yard are a loss.

McConaghie says Superior Buck and a nearby business were evacuated but are expected to resume work tomorrow morning. There were no injuries to firefighters or business employees.

Sandy Fire Department remained on the scene after the fire was extinguished to monitor hot spots and were working with employees to pull equipment and supplies apart to mitigate any flare-ups.

Editors Note: ABC4 originally reported the fire location in Midvale. The business is located on the border of Midvale and Sandy.