UPDATE: 12/27/22 6:06 P.M.

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4) — New details have been released after a man was shot on Main St. Tuesday afternoon. The Salt Lake City Police Department is investigating the incident as a possible self-defense shooting.

The investigation started shortly before 2:50 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27, when police received information from “several callers” about a person shot at an apartment complex, located on the 900 block of South Main St.

The callers reported there was a man outside with a handgun and another man on the ground.

Salt Lake City Police responded to the incident, and officers safely took the shooter into custody and began providing first aid to the man who had been shot.

Salt Lake City Fire and Gold Cross Ambulance also responded to help with first aid, and the victim was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Officers recovered a handgun they believe was used in the shooting, and preliminary investigation shows that just before the shooting, three men were involved in an argument inside the apartment complex.

The argument reportedly continued outside and one of the men, later determined to be the gunshot victim, pulled a knife.

In response, another man pulled out a gun and shot the man with the knife in the lower body.

The third man involved in the argument inside reportedly left before police arrived, but has been identified. The shooter remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation.

Detectives will work with the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office to determine whether the shooting was a lawful act of self-defense.

No further information on this case is being released at this time.

ORIGINAL STORY: 12/27/22 3:13 P.M.

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4) — One person is in custody and another is suffering from wounds that were not life-threatening after a shooting occurred in the 900 block of S. Main St. in Salt Lake City, according to police.

Police were called to an apartment complex where they said several men were arguing. The argument began to turn violent, and one man allegedly pulled a knife. A second man then pulled a gun and shot the man with the knife.

The shooter surrendered peacefully to police and is said to be cooperating with them in the investigation.

No names or potential charges have been released.

ABC4 News crews are on the scene. More information will be added to this post as it becomes available.