The internet is obsessed with solving this math problem.
Can you figure out the answer?
The math problem was first shared by Twitter user @pjmdolI
But people kept getting different answers…
Mike Breen, the public awareness officer for the American Mathematical Society, told Popular Mechanics: “The way it’s written, it’s ambiguous. In math, a lot of times there are ambiguities. Mathematicians try to make rules as precise as possible.”
Here’s the correct way to solve the problem:
The confusion is caused by the difference between modern and historic interpretations of the order of operations.
Did you get the answer right?
What others are clicking on:
- Kaysville City thanks firefighters with ‘Christmas’ star
- Salt Lake City to consider closing road to address illegal dumping
- Gov. Herbert appoints new Department of Environmental Quality director
- Study: OBGYNs retiring at faster rate leading to shortage
- Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for dealing drug that killed Roy man