The internet is obsessed with solving this math problem.
Can you figure out the answer?
The math problem was first shared by Twitter user @pjmdolI
But people kept getting different answers…
Mike Breen, the public awareness officer for the American Mathematical Society, told Popular Mechanics: “The way it’s written, it’s ambiguous. In math, a lot of times there are ambiguities. Mathematicians try to make rules as precise as possible.”
Here’s the correct way to solve the problem:
The confusion is caused by the difference between modern and historic interpretations of the order of operations.
Did you get the answer right?
What others are clicking on:
- Scorching summer highs for the weekend
- Utah offers critical COVID-19 information in 23 languages
- Police need help finding missing 85-year-old man with dementia
- Darren Parry wins 1st District Democratic nomination in Utah
- Utah Latter-day Saints asked to wear face coverings in public