The internet is obsessed with solving this math problem.
Can you figure out the answer?
The math problem was first shared by Twitter user @pjmdolI
But people kept getting different answers…
Mike Breen, the public awareness officer for the American Mathematical Society, told Popular Mechanics: “The way it’s written, it’s ambiguous. In math, a lot of times there are ambiguities. Mathematicians try to make rules as precise as possible.”
Here’s the correct way to solve the problem:
The confusion is caused by the difference between modern and historic interpretations of the order of operations.
Did you get the answer right?
What others are clicking on:
- Snowboarder dies after being buried in avalanche in Summit County
- Man seated inside In-N-Out when elderly driver crashed into it has died
- Video appears to show Draper restaurant employee urinating in kitchen
- 6 semi trucks involved in 9 vehicle crash on I-80 in Wyoming
- State representative says school start times should be pushed back