MANILA, Philippines (AP Modified) — A Utah woman charged with human trafficking for allegedly attempting to smuggle a 6-day-old baby out of the Philippines inside a sling bag has been arrested on an additional count of kidnapping.
Jennifer Talbot from Utah, who was out on bail while facing the human trafficking charge, was presented to reporters in Manila on Wednesday by officials from the National Bureau of Investigation.
She said she objected to the press conference without her attorney and the embassy present. Prosecutors say she planned to board a Delta Air Lines flight to the U.S. with the baby on Sept. 4.
After discovering the baby, airline staff called immigration personnel, who arrested Talbot at the airport.
The baby was turned over to government welfare personnel.
What others are reading:
- Drew Brees apologizes for flag comments: ‘We all need to listen’
- Newsfeed Now: Protests across America morning update – June 4, 2020
- 1.9 million seek jobless aid even as reopenings slow layoffs
- Moving from outrage to creativity: Oklahoma musicians,producers write songs to fight racial injustice
- Arkansas man delivers donuts to officers during protests