LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Utah man has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges stemming from the alleged murders of an off-duty Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy and a professional Russian snowboarder in June.
Thirty-year-old Rhett Nelson was arraigned Monday on charges of killing 50-year-old Deputy Joseph Solano and 31-year-old Dmitry Kolstov. He also denied charges of attempted murder and robbery.
Nelson was not granted bail and will remain in custody.
According to the District Attorney’s Office, Nelson allegedly shot Solano at a suburban Alhambra Jack in the Box an hour after fatally shooting Kolstov in Los Angeles. He allegedly then robbed a gas station and a 7-Eleven in Long Beach, all on June 10.
Nelson’s next court appearance is Sept. 6.
What others are clicking on:
- Georgia Republican says she has filed articles of impeachment against Biden
- Biden ordering help as talks start on big aid plan
- Donovan Mitchell scores season-high 36 points as Jazz win 7th straight, 129-118
- Utah State’s 11-game winning streak comes to an end with an 84-76 loss to Colorado State
- Utes snap 12-game Pac-12 road losing streak with 71-56 win at Washington State