SANDY, Utah (ABC4 News)- The Sandy City Police Department lost one of their own Sunday.
Chief William “Bill” O’Neal died at 4:30 p.m., officials said.
Sandy City Police Sgt. Jason Nielsen said his death was “untimely.”
“Please keep Chief O’Neal and his family in your thoughts and prayers,” Nielsen said.
Service details will be released at a later time.
Chief O’Neal was sworn in as the Chief of Police in July 2018 but he was with the department since August 1996.
Deputy Chief Greg Severson will be acting as interim Chief, Nielsen said.
What others are reading:
- New and old trick-or-treat safety tips
- National poll: Joe Biden leads President Trump by 5 points one week from Election Day
- Behind The Badge: Chief Jack Carruth is the steady hand guiding the South Salt Lake Police Department
- Florida woman returned 42,000 Amazon items in $100k scheme, deputies say
- Kearns High School playoff football game canceled due to positive COVID-19 tests