OGDEN (ABC4 News)- Police have identified the man shot and killed by Ogden officers on Friday night.
He has been identified as Jovany Mercado-Bedolla, 26. A quick look at court records shows Mercado-Bedolla has a criminal history including felonies for aggravated assault, attempted forgery, and misdemeanors of drug possession.
Police say the shooting happened around 9 p.m. near 32nd and Gramercy Avenue.
Officers were in the area responding to reports of a man with a knife searching through cars.
When officers approached Mercado-Bedolla they say he “ignored repeated orders to drop the knife” and “began advancing on the officers with the knife in clear view and ignored repeated orders to stop”.
All four officers fired their weapons. Paramedics declared Mercado-Bedolla at the scene.
The four officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation and an investigation by the Weber County Attorney’s Office.
Body cam footage worn by the officers is under review according to Chief Watt.
“Our hearts go out to the family, these are tragic events, but we’re also glad the officers were not injured in any way,” Watt said. “It’s unfortunate they were forced to do what they did in that position, no officer wants to have to do that.”
This is a developing story. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
What others are reading:
- Without Donovan Mitchell, Jazz still roll to 10th straight victory, 106-94
- Utah workers at the center of land use battle
- SLC teacher on returning to class feels her health is ‘in the middle of this political battle’
- Rollie Worster’s near triple-double helps Utah State end 2-game slide
- ‘I was qualified, and I happen to be female’: St. George’s first female mayor shares top priorities