SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – A boy, just about to turn 5-years-old, is dead after an auto-pedestrian incident Saturday morning, police say.
Lt. Brett Olsen with the Salt Lake City Police Department says the incident happened around 11 a.m. near 900 West California Avenue.
Lt. Olsen says the boy and his mother were walking in the crosswalk when they were hit by the driver of a vehicle.
The driver is being investigated for DUI, police say. Police say they are also investigating if speed was a factor.
Police identified the driver as Carl Wayne Johnson; he’s been booked in the Salt Lake County jail on suspicion of DUI.
The mother of the child was transported to a nearby hospital and the child died on the scene, Lt. Olsen says.
A GoFundMe page, started by Janna Curtis, identified the young victim as Holden; by Sunday morning, it had already nearly met it’s $10,000 goal.
This is a developing story. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
What others are clicking on:
- Multi day storm event—wet weather to stay through weekend
- Jazz get hot in Minnesota and knock off Timberwolves, 127-116
- Many Republicans & Democrats still not on board with tax reform proposal
- Amazon presents Volunteers of America, Utah with $30K donation to fight homelessness
- USPS expects a busy holiday season