SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – A boy, just about to turn 5-years-old, is dead after an auto-pedestrian incident Saturday morning, police say.
Lt. Brett Olsen with the Salt Lake City Police Department says the incident happened around 11 a.m. near 900 West California Avenue.
Lt. Olsen says the boy and his mother were walking in the crosswalk when they were hit by the driver of a vehicle.
The driver is being investigated for DUI, police say. Police say they are also investigating if speed was a factor.
Police identified the driver as Carl Wayne Johnson; he’s been booked in the Salt Lake County jail on suspicion of DUI.
The mother of the child was transported to a nearby hospital and the child died on the scene, Lt. Olsen says.
A GoFundMe page, started by Janna Curtis, identified the young victim as Holden; by Sunday morning, it had already nearly met it’s $10,000 goal.
This is a developing story. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
What others are clicking on:
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- Zach Wilson leads BYU to dominating 48-7 victory over Troy
- ‘My heart races every time I look at the pictures’: Tribute memorial to victims of systematic racism on display in Rose Park
- PTSD after COVID-19: ‘No doubt’ it’ll happen,’ says NIMH director
- PHOTOS: Trump formally nominates Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court