Multi-city crime spree ends with police chase Thursday morning

Top Stories

SALT LAKE COUNTY (ABC4 News) – A crime spree that spanned multiple cities finally came to an end Thursday morning during a car chase with police. Investigators said the suspect plowed through Liberty Park in the middle of the night and injured a homeless person in the area.

The crime trail began Tuesday night at Harris Automotive. South Salt Lake Police said the suspect broke into the repair shop, rummaged through their stuff, took keys, and stole a Jeep out of the parking lot.

Two days later around 12:20 a.m., Salt Lake City Police received a call about an individual making threats with a stun gun at the Smith’s 400 South 500 East. Officers were not able to locate the suspect or any victims. Shortly after, police received another call of a robbery at the 7-Eleven down the street at 400 S 300 E.

“In that case, the individual had taken some merchandise and threatened the clerk. When the clerk tried to stop them from taking it, he admitted he had a weapon,” said Det. Michael Ruff with the Salt Lake City Police Department.

Around 2 a.m., officers caught up with the suspect who plowed through Liberty Park. They say he hit several picnic tables, one of which hit a homeless man sleeping under the pavilion, who was taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

“Fortunately, it was in the middle of the night, which means there weren’t very many people in the park. If there was another time, it probably could have been an even bigger danger to the public,” said Det. Ruff.

From there, investigators said the suspect fled the scene and led officers on a chase. Salt Lake City Police said Unified Police and Cottonwood Heights Police assisted them in spiking the Jeeps’ tires to stop the vehicle and arrest the suspect near 7800 South Highland Drive.

The suspect has been identified as 38-year-old Gary Moore. He has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail and faces charges of aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, theft, and felony fleeing.

“It was an odd series of events. We always want to take somebody that’s causing harm to people or is a threat to the public into custody, as quickly and safely as possible, so no one else is in danger,” said Det. Ruff.


Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.