PARLEY’S CANYON, Utah (ABC4 News) – Parley’s Canyon has reopened following a fatal collision due to a wrong way driver in I-80 Saturday night.
According to Utah Highway Patrol. the crash happened at approximately 11:41 p.m. after dispatch received multiple reports of a silver passenger car driving westbound in eastbound lanes near milepost 141 on I-80 in Parley’s Canyon.
Moments later a report of a serious crash came in just three miles from the initial calls. Several troopers from both Salt Lake and Summit County responded.
Troopers arrived on scene and found a wrong-way collision involving a 2001 silver Toyota Corolla and a 2015 white Ford F-250 pulling an enclosed trailer.
The driver of the Toyota received fatal injuries in the collision. He was the sole occupant of the vehicle.
The male driver and his female passenger in the truck were able to exit before flames completely engulfed the passenger compartment. They were transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Eastbound traffic was temporarily shut down for nearly four hours.
Troopers are unsure why the Corolla was traveling the wrong way and are further investigating the incident.
Notification to family members is still being made.
- What’s Garth Brooks favorite turkey day side dish?
- UUSS: 98 earthquakes located in Utah Region in last 10 days
- No COVID-19 case counts released on Thanksgiving; most Utah testing sites closed
- Medical professionals at Huntsman Cancer Institute issue message over holiday gatherings
- Happy Thanksgiving from the GTU family