CLEARFIELD (ABC4 News)- It took investigators more than 20 years to link Mark Burns from Ogden to a string of violent crimes.
“We thought it was a mistake or something,” said neighbor Pat Sheehan.
Clearfield Police said the man Pat Sheehan was living next door to — Mark Burns– was a serial rapist.
“Disbelief, shock, I couldn’t believe it,” Sheehan said.
Police said a piece of DNA from Burns’ half brother led detectives to Mark.
Police said they connected Mark Burns to at least nine alleged rapes in Utah and Wyoming.
He was arrested and charged with 17 counts including aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping.
Sheehan said he hopes justice will be served.
“He needs to be held accountable the victims the victims I feel sorry for,” Sheehan said.
Utah Law Enforcement says Burns could be connected to several other assaults throughout the Western part of the U.S. as well.
- Drew Brees apologizes for flag comments: ‘We all need to listen’
- Newsfeed Now: Protests across America morning update – June 4, 2020
- 1.9 million seek jobless aid even as reopenings slow layoffs
- Moving from outrage to creativity: Oklahoma musicians,producers write songs to fight racial injustice
- Arkansas man delivers donuts to officers during protests