HIGHLAND, Utah (ABC4) – UPDATED A fire sparked on the roof of Ridgeline Elementary School in Highland, Utah, after midnight on June 4, causing an estimated $300,000 in damages, said Kimberly Bird with Alpine School District.
Bird said the fire began on the roof and was caused by illegally-purchased and illegally set-off fireworks. But most of the damage to the school was from the sprinkler system and not the fire.
Police are looking for the suspects who they believe accidentally set the school on fire with illegally-purchased fireworks that were possibly from out-of-state.
It is illegal to set off fireworks any day of the year other than three days before and after New Year, Chinese New Year, July 4 and July 24, said Ted Black, Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal. He said that it’s a crime to purchase fireworks in another state and to light them in Utah.
“Buy locally, light responsibly,” he said. “And just in case, keep a hose close by.”
School let out for the summer a week ago, so nobody was in Ridgeline Elementary when the fire occurred.
Lone Peak Fire Department responded to the call and extinguished the flames 15 minutes after they arrived on the scene, said fire officials.