UPDATE 10/14/2019 (ABC4 News) – In a press released issued Monday by Intermountain Health Care, 59 people were treated at their facilities after a carbon monoxide leak at a Provo meetinghouse on Sunday.
Twenty-three of those patients received hyperbaric treatment at either Utah Valley Hospital, Intermountain Medical Center, or LDS Hospital.
Dr. Lindell Weaver, medical director of the Hyperbaric Medicine Center at Intermountain Medical Center and LDS Hospital, says as temperatures drop Utahns need to protect themselves and their families from this deadly gas.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and a poisonous gas. Because it is virtually undetectable by humans, it’s dubbed the silent killer. In the United States, it is the number one cause of death by poisoning.
CO is often produced from a faulty furnace or other heating sources inside the home. Exposures to CO also comes from automobile exhaust, small gas engines, and other fuel operated machines being used in poorly ventilated spaces.
“Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to the flu – nausea, tiredness, aches, and pains,” says Dr. Weaver. “If you suspect you have been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide you should leave immediately and seek help.”
PROVO, Utah (ABC4 News) – According to the Provo Fire Department, at 11:06 a.m., the department responded to a medical call at a church building which ended up being a carbon monoxide leak.
Just after 11 a.m. people at the church, located at 650 East Stadium Drive, had been feeling sick. Upon further inspection, officials found that the church was full of carbon monoxide coming from the radiator.
The church building was evacuated, and officials called Questar to investigate. One person was transported for treatment, while several traveled by personal vehicle.
Gold Cross, the Orem Fire Department, and the Provo Fire Department then transported eight people to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray for hyperbaric treatment.
What others are clicking on:
- COVID-19 cases rise, Salt Lake County Mayor sends message to residents urging caution
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
- Can you have the flu and COVID-19 at the same time?
- Keeping kids motivated during remote learning
- $13B aid package to help Puerto Rico 3 years after Hurricane Maria took too long, Democrats say