MOAB, Utah (ABC4 News)- “Coal”, the black-haired deer loved by many in the Moab community’s cause of death has been released.
According to officials with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, he died of Chronic Wasting Disease, a relatively rare, but fatal transmissible disease that affects the nervous systems of deer, elk and moose.
The disease has been called the “zombie deer disease.” It can possibly affect humans if someone were to eat infected meat, according to the CDC. So far, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people.
July 1, 2019, the DWR has confirmed 16 positive CWD deer statewide. Six of those, including Coal, were in the La Sal Unit. There have been 1,500 deer sampled since July 1, 2019, and 59 test results are still pending.
- Salami sticks sold at Trader Joe’s linked to salmonella infections, hospitalizations
- After ‘Rust’ shooting, a look back at other fatal on-set accidents
- These are the ‘rattiest’ cities in the US, according to national pest-control company
- Salt Lake City named 3rd best city for soccer fans in the country
- Do I have salmonella poisoning, or is it something else entirely?