UPDATE: The driver of the SUV was identified as 23-year-old Evan Thomas of Salt Lake City.
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – One person is dead after hitting a semi-truck head-on while driving the wrong way on I-80 Saturday morning.
According to Utah Highway Patrol, the crash happened around 3:30 a.m. near mile marker 133 after the driver of an SUV headed west in the eastbound lanes before crashing into the semi-truck.
The driver of the SUV was partially ejected and sustained fatal injuries. Troopers believe the driver was not wearing a seat belt.
The driver of the semi-truck was evaluated at the scene and not transported to the hospital. The cause of the crash is still under investigation. It is not known why the driver of the SUV was in the wrong lanes of traffic.
- 90-year-old Florida man hits hole-in-one
- Rhode Island teacher transforms conservation land into outdoor classroom
- Gov. Newsom signs new law prompted by photo scandal in crash that killed Kobe Bryant, 8 others in Calabasas
- Dying winds give crews hope in Northern California fires
- Troopers identify man killed in motorcycle crash on SR-35