UPDATE (10/9/19 12:25 pm) – The 28-year-old fugitive shot outside of Layton Hills Mall on Tuesday has died.
Police have identified him as Zachary Hall and was wanted for aggravated robbery out of Salt Lake City.
LAYTON, Utah (ABC4 News) – A male suspect is in custody Tuesday after an officer-involved shooting outside Layton Hills Mall.
Officials with the U.S. Marshal’s Service said officers from multiple agencies were tracking what they described as a violent fugitive.
Officers had been tracking the suspect for a “good part of the morning” when they saw the 28-year-old man leaving the mall late Tuesday afternoon.
Officers ordered the suspect to stop and put his hands up and that’s when they said he ran to his vehicle.
As officers began to approach, officials said the suspect began to ram law enforcement vehicles.
At some point during the incident, shots were fired, the suspect was wounded and then taken into custody.
“If we’re going after somebody, if we’re spreading the time and resources going after somebody, you can be sure they’re the most violent among us, so when we come out here and we put out the taskforce out here, it’s to get somebody who has a very bad criminal history off the street,” said Matt Harris with the U.S. Marshal’s Service, District of Utah.
The Davis County Critical Incident Protocol team is investigating the shooting.
- Truck slams into Burgess Owens campaign headquarters
- Oklahoma mom warns of the dangers of open-air carbon monoxide poisoning after her son dies after a day on the lake
- Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson: Joe Biden is ‘the best choice to lead our country’
- Real Salt Lake plays Minnesota to scoreless draw
- Nearly 1,000 individuals buried in a forgotten Idaho cemetery, how you can help remember them