WASHINGTON COUNTY (ABC4 News) – A 13-year-old boy is dead after a UTV crash in the Sand Mountain OHV area adjacent to Sand Hollow State Park.
Park rangers said they responded to the sand dunes within the BLM Sand Mountain OHV area after reports of a UTV crash involving a family from Colorado at 2:45 p.m.
The teenager, later identified as Malachi King-Castro, was a passenger in the UTV when the crash happened. While he was wearing a seatbelt, he was not believed to be wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, according to state park officials.
Officials said King-Castro sustained fatal injuries, and he was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash.
Officials do not believe any other vehicles were involved in the crash.
The Utah Division of Parks and Recreation extended its condolences to the friends and family impacted by the incident.
What others are reading:
- ‘U.N.I.T.E.D.’ New University of Utah Police Chief announces updates to U of U mission statement
- Fire crews work to contain wildfire near Goshen
- Lawmakers hope other teams will follow Redskins’ lead
- Kroger cashiers stop giving customers coins for change amid shortage spurred by pandemic
- Utah earthquake declared presidential disaster, SBA assistance now available