Update: As of 11 a.m all lanes are open.
ST. GEORGE (St. George News) — An accident in the construction zone in the Virgin River Gorge has blocked both lanes of Interstate 15 northbound, and authorities are suggesting travelers take an alternate route.
According to Arizona Department of Public Safety Sgt. John Bottoms, the accident occurred at milepost 15.
“We have a commercial vehicle that was pulling a set of triple trailers that lost its third trailer,” he said in a text message.
Bottoms advised travelers to use an alternate route through the gorge for the next one to two hours. Motorists can use alternative Highway 91, which bypasses the gorge entirely, intersecting with I-15 at Exit 8 in Littlefield, Arizona, to the south and connecting to St. George at the north via Santa Clara and Sunset Boulevard.
What others are reading:
- Men arrested in attack on black missionary charged with hate crime
- Utah family to be featured on Sunday’s episode of ‘Extreme Makeover: Home Edition’
- Lawmaker says there’s need for ‘broader conversation’ on racism in Utah
- Two flown to the hospital after crash on Highway 189
- ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ leaving indelible mark on TV landscape