UPDATE 8/24: As of 7 p.m. Saturday fire crews said the fire was fully contained.
UPDATE 8/23: The fire, dubbed Mile Marker 122 fire has burned 1,232 acres and is at 60 percent containment.
Crews are asking people to be safe when traveling along the I-15. Firefighters are still working in the area.
UPDATE 8/22: Both directions of Interstate 15 were reopened around 5:15 p.m.
MILLARD COUNTY (ABC4 News)- A fire has closed north and southbound lanes of Interstate 15 near Cove Fort.
Officials say the fire was sparked after a trailer carrying carnival gear rolled into the bushes. No injuries were reported.
Both directions of the freeway are shut down. Troopers are asking those headed south to not travel past Fillmore. They ask drivers to take US 6 to Delta, then jump on SR 257 to Milford, then take SR 130 to Cedar City.
Northbound drivers are being asked to take SR 20 to HWY 89 then up to I-70 which eventually connects with I-15 northbound.
Fire officials say so far 350 acres have burned.
Updates to the story will be posted as more information becomes available.
What others are clicking on:
- Two children sickened by THC-infused candy received from food bank
- Latter-day Saint changes, speaker’s talk about church’s Restoration
- General Conference: New symbol, call for second global fast and youth speakers
- Latter-day Saint Church announces new General Authority Seventies and Area Seventies
- Six of seven symptomatic patients at SLC nursing facility test positive for COVID-19