VERNAL, Utah (ABC4 News)- Another temple in Utah will be reopening in just a few days.
Earlier this month, leaders with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced that temples will be reopening in phases. The temple in Vernal, Utah is next on the list.
The first phase of the reopening will allow husband-and-wife living sealings for already endowed church members in select temples.
A number of Utah temples (and temples across the world) reopened on May 11th. The following 14 temples will open on June 1, 2020:
- Adelaide Australia Temple
- Albuquerque New Mexico Temple
- Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple
- Calgary Alberta Temple
- Fukuoka Japan Temple
- Melbourne Australia Temple
- Nauvoo Illinois Temple
- Perth Australia Temple
- Raleigh North Carolina Temple
- San Antonio Texas Temple
- St. Louis Missouri Temple
- Sydney Australia Temple
- The Hague Netherlands Temple
- Vernal Utah Temple
Phases for reopening
Temple reopenings will happen in a series of four phases in order to reduce any health risks.
The first phase is to open select temples for living sealing ceremonies only for members who are already endowed. These ceremonies will include strict safety precautions.
In the second phase, temples will open for all living ordinances. Patron housing, distribution of temple clothing, and cafeteria options will all remain closed during this phase.
During the third phase, temples will open for all ordinances with restrictions. Temple visitors will be able to provide proxy ordinances for ancestors and patron housing, clothing distribution, and cafeteria operations will open as needed.
In the fourth and final phase, all temple operations will resume as usual.
Temples will open based on local health directives.
Click here to view the status of individual temples.
- Mandatory evacuations in place due to wildfire burning above Olympus Cove on SLC’s East bench
- Firefighters battle 2 wildfires in Tooele County
- Utah reports 632 new coronavirus cases and 5 new deaths Saturday
- Teen shot, multiple detained after hotel party in West Valley
- Two hang gliders collide on Traverse Mountain in Lehi