SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) — Windows were shattered at Gov. Spencer Cox’s downtown campaign headquarters, creating a “rough morning” for Cox’s team.

Cox posted photos of the vandalism on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter. In the photos, the glass of the front door was completely smashed in. The entryway was littered with glass and lettering that decorated the front door, including a torn sticker of Utah.

In addition to the damage to the door, one of the office’s windows was damaged with a web of cracks sprawling from the corner.

Cox said in his social media post the suspect was taken into custody by law enforcement, although officials later said the suspect was only detained. The governor also said the suspect has targeted Cox and his family in the past.

Major Steve Salas, with Utah Highway Patrol, said troopers detained the suspect late Sunday night. Troopers encountered the man at the Utah State Capitol, where he was attempting to climb up a wall.

“It did appear that he was in mental crisis at the time,” Salas said, noting that troopers were familiar with the man, as they’d seen him at the capitol at times over the last several weeks.

While detained, the man mentioned that he had broken windows at the campaign office, Salas said. Troopers contacted Salt Lake City police to investigate.

Troopers brought the man, who was not armed, to a hospital to be evaluated. He was not taken into custody after that, Salas said.

UHP’s Threat Management Unit was tapped to work with the man.

“So once we’ve identified an individual like this, who has targeted state buildings or elected officials, we’re going to do everything we can to intervene,” Salas said. “Whether it’s with professional intervention, contacting the family, trying to find out what the diagnosis has been… We’re going to try to prevent this, to protect the public, to protect the individual.”

When the man appeared at the capitol before, he was generally “polite, cordial and not threatening” with troopers, Salas said.

He did note, however, that there was one incident where the man was yelling at the governor from outside a state building. Salas said it wasn’t clear if he was yelling threats.

Salt Lake City police, which is investigating the vandalism, said its findings in the case will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office for possible charges. Until then, the man remains out of custody.

This is a developing story. Information is expected to change as more details become available. expects to update the story below.