A Capitol police officer died from injuries suffered in the riot, and police shot a woman during the violence. Three others died in what authorities said were medical emergencies.
Speaking to reporters before traveling to Texas on Tuesday, Trump says his remarks to supporters last week were “totally appropriate.”
Minutes before his supporters stormed the Capitol, Trump encouraged them to march on the seat of the nation’s government where lawmakers were tallying Electoral College votes affirming President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.
Trump, for months, had also spread baseless claims that the November election was fraudulent, despite his own administration’s findings to the contrary.
As rioters were still in the Capitol, Trump released a video seemingly excusing the events, saying of the rioters: “We love you. You’re very special.”
- ‘Josh is strong’: Family of a Salt Lake County Sheriff’s deputy shot releases statement
- Utah adds over 350 new COVID-19 cases, 2 new deaths Tuesday
- High winds in Utah prompting safety reminders
- Northern Utah readies for a second round of dangerous high winds
- Minnesota police chief, cop quit after Black driver’s death