Planned Parenthood withdraws from federal family planning program amid new Trump rule

News

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Planned Parenthood said Monday it’s pulling out of the federal family planning program rather than abide by a new Trump administration rule prohibiting clinics from referring women for abortions.

Alexis McGill Johnson, Planned Parenthood’s acting president and CEO, said the organization’s nationwide network of health centers would remain open and strive to make up for the loss of federal money. But she predicted that many low-income women who rely on Planned Parenthood services would “delay or go without” care.

“We will not be bullied into withholding abortion information from our patients,” said McGill Johnson. “Our patients deserve to make their own health care decisions, not to be forced to have Donald Trump or Mike Pence make those decisions for them.”

Responding with its own statement, the federal Department of Health and Human Services said that Planned Parenthood affiliates knew months ago about the new restrictions and suggested that the group could have chosen at that point to exit the program.

“Some grantees are now blaming the government for their own actions — having chosen to accept the grant while failing to comply with the regulations that accompany it — and they are abandoning their obligations to serve patients under the program,” the department said.


PLANNED PARENTHOOD ASSOCIATION OF UTAH REACTS

In Utah, Planned Parenthood Association of Utah has been the sole Title X direct grantee for 35 years. The organization says it has provided 37,000 people a year with affordable birth control, STD testing, cancer screenings, and more through the program. 

“I am heartbroken that we have to withdraw today from Title X, but we refuse to let the Trump administration bully us into withholding abortion information from our patients in Utah. The gag rule is unethical and dangerous, and we will not subject our patients to it.  

Our doors are still open today, and they will be open tomorrow. We will do everything we can to make sure our patients don’t lose care. While the Trump-Pence administration may have given up on you, we never will. Planned Parenthood of Utah will do everything in our power to make sure that Utahns continue to have access to the same high-quality, affordable reproductive health care we have provided for nearly 50 years. We also urge Congress to stop this gag rule and protect birth control and reproductive health care for the 37,000 Utahns who rely on Title X each year.”  

Karrie Galloway, President & CEO, Planned Parenthood Association of Utah

Planned Parenthood was not the only organization dropping out. Maine Family Planning, which is unaffiliated with Planned Parenthood, also released its letter of withdrawal Monday. The National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, an umbrella group for family planning clinics is suing to overturn the regulations.

About 4 million women are served nationwide under the Title X program, which distributes $260 million in grants to clinics. Planned Parenthood says it has served about 40% of patients.

A federal appeals court in San Francisco is weighing a lawsuit to overturn the rules, but so far the court has allowed the administration to go ahead with enforcement. Oral arguments are scheduled the week of Sept. 23. Several states and the American Medical Association have joined the suit as plaintiffs. Activists are also pressing Congress to overturn the rule.

Monday was the deadline set by the government for program participants to submit statements that they intended to comply with the new rules, along with a plan. Enforcement will start Sept. 18.

Along with the ban on abortion referrals by clinics, the rule’s requirements include financial separation from facilities that provide abortion, designating abortion counseling as optional instead of standard practice, and limiting which staff members can discuss abortion with patients. Clinics would have until next March to separate their office space and examination rooms from the physical facilities of providers that offer abortions.

The family planning rule is part of a series of efforts to remake government policy on reproductive health to please conservatives who are a key part of President Donald Trump’s political base. Religious conservatives see the program as providing an indirect subsidy to Planned Parenthood, which runs family planning clinics and is also a major abortion provider.

Planned Parenthood has called the ban on abortion referrals a “gag rule,” while the administration insists that’s not the case.

Maine Family Planning CEO George Hill said in a letter to HHS that his organization is withdrawing “more in sorrow than in anger” after 47 years of participating in the program.

He said the Trump administration regulation “would fundamentally compromise the relationship our patients have with us as trusted providers of this most personal and private health care. It is simply wrong to deny patients accurate information about and access to abortion care.”

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

John Legend PSA

Thumbnail for the video titled "John Legend PSA"

Latest News Videos

Don't go cold this winter: there are options for those struggling to pay utility bills

Thumbnail for the video titled "Don't go cold this winter: there are options for those struggling to pay utility bills"

Bountiful police need help finding suspect in hit and run case

Thumbnail for the video titled "Bountiful police need help finding suspect in hit and run case"

Man dies after being attacked by his rooster on way to cockfight

Thumbnail for the video titled "Man dies after being attacked by his rooster on way to cockfight"

The rising cost of insulin

Thumbnail for the video titled "The rising cost of insulin"

St. George K-9 “Emma” helps Arizona deputies confiscate 300 pounds of drugs on I-15

Thumbnail for the video titled "St. George K-9 “Emma” helps Arizona deputies confiscate 300 pounds of drugs on I-15"

Video: Inmate punches Hillsborough deputy in the face

Thumbnail for the video titled "Video: Inmate punches Hillsborough deputy in the face"
More Video News

Don't Miss