SANDY, Utah (ABC4) — The Sandy Police Department (SPD) has identified the victim of the fatal road rage incident that occurred Wednesday on I-15.

SPD Public Information Officer Sgt. Greg Moffitt confirmed with ABC4 that the individual who was killed as a result of the altercation was identified as 42-year-old Chris Mortensen of Pleasant Grove, Utah.

A fundraiser created on behalf of Chris describes him as “a doting father to his young kids, a hard worker and sole provider for his family,” as well as “a devoted father and husband… a loving son, brother, uncle, friend, neighbor, community member and devout member of the church.”

Chris is being remembered as a loving husband to his wife of 20 years and a supportive father to his four children.

ORIGINAL STORY: Sandy I-15 road rage incident leaves one dead, one in custody

OCTOBER 26, 2022 / 12:08 PM

SANDY, Utah (ABC4) — One man is dead and another is in police custody after an alleged road rage incident on I-15 spilled over on Sandy city streets, according to police.

Sandy Police Public Information Officer Sgt. Greg Moffit said the incident began on the interstate between two vehicles shortly before 9:30 a.m. this morning, but ended on S. Holiday Park Dr. Two individuals began fighting one another when at least one shot was fired.

Moffit said when police arrived on the scene, the victim was lying injured on the roadway. He was taken to a local hospital, where he later died. The victim is believed to be in his 40s, according to Moffit.

The suspect, 33-year-old Rodrigo Monroy, is held at the Salt Lake County Jail without bail. He is charged with murder, a first-degree felony, and firing a weapon that resulted in “serious bodily injury,” a third-degree felony.

The incident began when Monroy cut off another vehicle on the I-15. The driver then “suggested” Monroy to pull over. The two vehicles drove off the freeway and onto Holiday Park Drive.

The victim then walked up to Monroy’s car and hit it with his hands. Monroy pulled out a gun from under the driver’s seat and pointed at the victim, telling him to back away. The two men struggled as the victim tried to grab the gun.

Monroy regained control of the gun and shot the other driver in the chest, according to the charging document. He never left his seat in the car until after he fired the gun.

Later on, Monroy told police that he “brake checked” the victim on the freeway, and he pulled his gun out because he was scared after seeing the victim hit his car.