SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 Utah) New video has surfaced of a police altercation and subsequent shooting that left a Salt Lake City man dead.
Retired sheriff William “Dub” Lawrence received the cell phone video of the shooting that now raises questions about what happened.
Lawrence says he received the video and has been trying to meet with Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill since November.
He says the person who brought it forward says they did show it to police, but claims police told them it wasn’t relevant.
The shooting took place in Salt Lake City’s Avenues neighborhood one year ago Friday.
A Salt Lake City police officer shot and killed James Barker, 42, on January 8, 2015, after he reportedly attacked the officer with a shovel.
Earlier that day residents in the area reported a “suspicious male” going door to door soliciting to shovel snow.
The police officer’s body camera footage shows there was verbal argument between the responding officer and Barker.
The officer was struck in the shoulder with the shovel before he shot and killed Barker.
After an investigation, the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office determined the use of deadly force by in this incident was legally justified.
In the report that cleared the officer, it said that Barker was trying to reach for his gun multiple times and that’s why he ended up shooting him.