SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – The University of Utah announced the creation of a new scholarship program that will provide a fully-funded path to a degree for eligible Utah students.
The “For Utah Scholarship” will combine federal, state and university funds to cover tuition and fees for academically qualified, Pell Grant-eligible first-time freshmen who are state residents. No loans are part of this program.
Students who are eligible will be able to attend the U with no tuition or fees. University officials say the program is the first of its kind in the state.
“The new For Utah Scholarship builds on the efforts of the Utah Legislature to ensure affordability of college for Utah residents from all financial backgrounds,” said University of Utah President Ruth Watkins.
The university anticipates it will invest about $2.5 million each year when the program is fully implemented.
Applications are now open for high school students interested in attending the U beginning fall 2020. The application deadline for the scholarship has been waived this year.
Learn more about the program at admissions.utah.edu/ForUtah.
WHAT OTHERS ARE READING:
- Weber State beats Montana to advance to FCS Semifinals for first time ever
- Mitchell, Bogdanovic rally Jazz past Warriors, 114-106
- Stamford teenagers save cancer patient trapped inside a burning vehicle
- Christmas display inspires nonverbal girl with autism to speak
- Judiciary Committee votes along party lines on articles of impeachment