(NEXSTAR) – As we prepare to close the book on a year that left few unscathed, it’s time to take a look back at what captured our imagination, horrified us, made us laugh and touched our hearts on Twitter in 2020.
For a decade now, the social media giant has published a review of the greatest trends, memes and moments of the year.
“How do we possibly recap a year like this?” Twitter Global Head of Consumer Communications Tracy McGraw wrote in a blog post earlier this month. “By turning our attention to how we all got through it together: the ways we kept ourselves entertained, the changes we made, and the messages of support that we shared with each other. If you’re over 2020, we get it; if you’re curious to see how the world conversed, coped, and even celebrated this year, read on for a brief tour through the Tweets of 2020.”
While Twitter released the list of tweets with the highest engagement Dec. 7, the order hasn’t changed since then, the company confirmed Thursday.
Here are the most retweeted tweets of 2020:
And the most liked:
(Twitter only featured one tweet per account and didn’t consider tweets that offer reward in exchange for followers and engagement)
When it comes to hashtags, the winner was no surprise: #COVID19 was tweeted nearly 400 million times. The second-most used hashtag was #BlackLivesMatter.
See more from Twitter’s round up of trends in 2020.
- Donovan Mitchell scores season-high 36 points as Jazz win 7th straight, 129-118
- Utah State’s 11-game winning streak comes to an end with an 84-76 loss to Colorado State
- Utes snap 12-game Pac-12 road losing streak with 71-56 win at Washington State
- Matt Haarms scores 23 as BYU rolls past Portland, 95-67
- 1 year later: What Utah officials wish they knew when COVID first hit