CNN- A Florida family is mourning the loss of their puppy Zeus who died protecting two of their four kids from a venomous snake.
Gina Richardson, the boy’s mother, told CNN her 10-year-old son was playing in the backyard when the 9-month-old pit bull jumped toward him and attacked a coral snake. She said it appeared he was doing his best to keep the snake away from the boy.
His 11-year-old brother then walked into the backyard. That’s when Zeus laid down on the snake to smother it and prevent it from harming the boys.
The snake bit Zeus four times before the dog bit its head off.
The family rushed Zeus to a nearby animal hospital, where staff immediately gave him anti-venom medication.
Zeus died the next day.
Richardson said she feels “forever grateful” to Zeus and considers him a hero saying if he had not been there, she may have lost one of her kids.
- Man formally charged, accused of shooting and injuring Provo Police officer
- Donovan Mitchell gets ejected in Jazz overtime loss to Philadelphia
- Runnin’ Utes squander halftime lead, lose 75-70 to Oregon State
- South Entrance fire called ‘out’ at Zion National Park
- IN FOCUS Discussion: Underserved businesses