COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. (AP) — A kayaker who went missing during a solo trip in the Florida Everglades was found alive after his cell phone washed up on a riverbank.
Authorities were able to recover data from the phone showing where he’d been. The Collier County Sheriff’s Office says a helicopter crew then spotted 67-year-old Mark Miele on Monday and led a marine unit to his location.
National Park Service rangers found a bag containing his wallet and phone Sunday, giving rescuers an area to target their search. Officials say Miele embarked on a solo kayaking trip on Jan. 22 and was due back Jan. 29.
You can view the original social media post by the Collier County Sheriff’s Office below:
What others are reading:
- BLM confirms ‘monolith’ was removed, say visitors left behind human waste
- Hill leads Saints to 31-3 rout of QB-challenged Broncos
- Washington Co. Sheriff release video of the rescue of 15-year-old missing hiker
- Zoom invite scam: Don’t click that phony ‘reactivate’ or ‘reschedule’ link!
- Resorts, avalanche forecasters brace for pandemic ski season