UPDATE (01/21/2020) – A man involved in a crash that killed a 50-year-old woman on January 5 has died.
According to West Jordan police, Joseph Michael Lucero, 35, was found dead at a home in West Jordan over the weekend by a family member.
Police said there was no sign of foul play and the death is not being ruled as suspicious. Police said they have to wait for the results of the autopsy before determining exactly how he died.
Salt Lake City said that since both Lucero and another man in the car were both ejected, they are still waiting on DNA testing to prove who was actually driving Lucero’s Tesla that night.
The investigation into the crash is ongoing, and an update will be provided if additional information is released.
UPDATE: (1/10/2020): The driver of the Nissan in the crash has died, police said Friday.
She has been identified as 50-year-old Sarina Astorga.
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – Just before 7:30 a.m. Sunday the driver of a Tesla ran a red light on North Temple and 900 West and hit another car, police say.
Detective Greg Wilking of the SLCPD said three people were critically hurt in the accident and taken to the hospital.
The Tesla hit with such force, witnesses at the scene reported having to get out of the way of flying parts.
The crash became more complicated as the Tesla’s batteries exploded. The Salt Lake Fire Department’s Haz Mat Team handled the burning batteries.
- FDA: E. Coli outbreak at popular sandwich shop, including Utah locations
- WATCH: Woman accused of stealing from people at a senior living facility
- Baby’s life-threatening heart defect healed with unique surgery
- Former polygamist says ‘No’ to decriminalizing polygamy
- ‘Bring back the deceased person and casket’; Deputies make a public appeal for a stolen hearse