Loveland Living Planet Aquarium (LLPA) and Harmons Grocery are partnering up to feed the animals, 4,500 animals and 500 species living at the aquarium.
Every week LLPA Husbandry Team orders fresh produce from Harmons including bananas, apples, carrots, kale, sweet potatoes, mango nectar, dill, basil and more. Then the food is measured, weighed, logged and hand-prepared to exacting specifications for each animals.
It’s the very same produce available to customers at any neighborhood grocery store.
Every animal has it’s own special dietary needs, for example:
- Green sea turtle, Loggerhead sea turtle & Southern stingrays – Whole heads of lettuce
- Asian small-clawed otters – A variety of produce, carrots and red bell peppers
- Binturongs – A mix of chopped veggies and fruits, especially green grapes-their favorite snack
- Burmese mountain tortoises – A healthy chopped salad with spinach, berries, yellow peppers, and the occasional mushroom
- South American finch – A variety of fruits, although they tend to pilfer blueberries before the feeding trays are even attached to the trees in the morning