Man dies after stoking fire with gasoline


ST. GEORGE, Utah (News4Utah) – A man is dead after police say he used gasoline to stoke a campfire.

Emergency crews were dispatched to Dixie Downs on report of a person trapped in a vehicle fire. When first responders arrived they found a 25-year-old man lying on the ground next to a vehicle. He had been severely burned.

The man was rushed to the hospital and detectives were called to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fire.

Police say it appears the man and a friend had a fire pit in their yard. At some point the man decided to stoke the fire with gasoline. The fire spread to his arms and clothes.

In his attempt to douse the fire on the ground, he ended up near a truck that was parked in front of the house.

One of the first responders on scene was able to douse the flames with a garden house before he was rushed to the hospital.

As of Thursday night, police have not released the name of the victim.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

How to Help During the Holidays

More Toys for Tots