When children are sick at school or they need help staying on top of health conditions such as diabetes, they turn to the school nurse. However, a recent report says Utah schools are facing a dearth of school nurses. Canyons District school nurse Jennifer Gerrard joined Good Morning Utah to talk about the role of a school nurse in keeping our children healthy and ready to learn.
A recently released annual report by the Utah Department of Health outlines the state’s struggles to staff enough nurses at elementary, middle and high schools. Right now, there is one nurse for every 3,773 students statewide. While better than last year, it’s not enough to cover the important and burgeoning health needs of students.
To learn more about Canyons School District visit their website.
- Inmate charged with child rape accused of murder-for-hire against victim
- A resort getaway that’s more affordable than you think
- Why health experts say women need to start ‘sitting like a man’
- Motorcyclist killed after crash on 215 freeway identified
- How to avoid a whole new wardrobe during pregnancy