DRAPER (News4Utah)- One of Elizabeth Smart’s kidnappers was officially released from prison Wednesday morning.
Around 8 a.m. officials at Utah State Prison confirmed Barzee was no longer an inmate at the prison.
Barzee and Brian David Mitchell were arrested for kidnapping Elizabeth Smart from her bedroom in June of 2002. They were captured and Elizabeth was returned to her family in March of 2003.
She was convicted in both federal and state court for the crime. Last week it was announced Barzee had served her time and would be released on Sept. 19th.
In an interview on “CBS This Morning,” Smart said she believes Wanda Barzee remains a danger.
Smart said she doesn’t know all the conditions of Barzee’s release but that she’s been told a federal agent will keep a “close eye” on her.
Barzee will be under supervised probation for the next five years. She is required to participate in a mental health program and is a registered sex offender.
If she fails to follow through on any of the conditions, she could return to prison.
Shortly after news of her release, Smart posted on Instagram:
“May we all remain vigilant in watching over our families, friends, and community from anyone who would seek to hurt or take advantage. I truly believe life is meant to be happy and beautiful, and no matter what happens that will remain my goal for me and for my family.”
Barzee’s attorney spoke with the media after her release: