Woman killed by grandson in hostage incident identified

Local News

UPDATE: South Salt Lake Police have identified the woman killed in a hostage incident in South Salt Lake Sunday morning. 

Prior mug: Abe Martinez

Gary Keller, South Salt Lake Police spokesperson said 89-year-old Rose Martinez was killed and her 71-year-old husband was hospitalized after being attacked by her 44-year-old grandson Abe Martinez, who was shot and killed by police during the incident.  

Police said Abe Martinez is the grandson of Rose Martinez and the step-grandson to her husband, who has since been upgraded to serious but stable condition.

It is still not clear what provoked the hostage situation but Abe Martinez had just recently been paroled from the federal prison system. 

 The case remains under investigation by the West Valley City Officer Involved Critical Incident Team. 



SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah (News4Utah) – South Salt Lake Police have confirmed an elderly woman has died and her husband is in critical condition after a hostage situation in South Salt Lake Sunday morning.

South Salt Lake Police spokesperson Gary Keller confirmed the incident started to unfold at about 10:30 a.m. on a report of a suspicious individual inside a home located at 451 E Stanley Ave (3150 South).

Family members had called in to check on their grandparents who are believed to be in their 70s. They said a man they did not recognize picked up the phone and would not tell them who he was. Family called police as they headed to the home. 

When family arrived, the man answered the door and told them he had taken the couple hostage. 

At that time, SWAT and a hostage negotiator were called to the scene. When negotiations started, it was clear the suspect intended to kill the elderly couple. 

Several outside agencies were called in to assist and a mobile command unit arrived on scene. Two officers responded next to the home where the suspect had a weapon. When the suspect fired his weapon from the side of the house, officers fired back and killed the suspect. 

The elderly woman was pronounced dead at the scene and the man was taken by ambulance in critical condition to the hospital. 

Police are not sure at this time what connection the suspect has to the couple. The investigation is on-going.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

How to Help During the Holidays

More Toys for Tots