Snowy conditions on the roads can turn dangerous if you’re stranded on your own.
The Red Cross joined Good Morning Utah Wednesday morning with some tips to stay safe.
According to Rich Woodruff, Communications and Marketing Director of the Utah Red Cross, these are the most important tips to keep in mind:
- Tie a brightly colored cloth to the antenna as a signal to rescuers.
- Move anything you need from the trunk into the passenger area.
- Wrap your entire body, including your head, in extra clothing, blankets, or newspapers.
- Stay awake. You will be less vulnerable to cold-related health problems.
- Run the motor (and heater) for about 10 minutes per hour, opening one window slightly to let in air.
- Make sure that snow is not blocking the exhaust pipe—this will reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- As you sit, keep moving your arms and legs to improve your circulation and stay warmer.
- Do not eat unmelted snow because it will lower your body temperature.