BIRCH CANYON (ABC4 News) Fire officials said they expect to have a fire burning near the top of Birch Canyon fully contained this weekend.
The Birch Canyon Fire was reported on August 19. It’s burning east of Smithfield in the Mount Naomi Wilderness and four miles up Birch Canyon.
Friday, officials reported the fire was 5.5 acres and 30 percent contained. Fire managers expect full containment on Sunday, August 25.
Investigators determined the fire was sparked by an abandoned campfire that was left smoldering near the trail. Officials remind members of the public to properly extinguish campfires before leaving a campsite and never leave a campfire unattended.
Smoke will continue to be visible from Smithfield, Cache Valley, and the
What others are reading:
- Wildfire burning above Olympus Cove on SLC’s East bench
- 2 firefighters help deliver baby boy in California parking lot
- Firefighters battle 2 wildfires in Tooele County
- Hospitalizations on the rise; area hospitals struggle with staffing
- Trump says executive order will include DACA recipients