What do you do if someone gives you counterfeit money?

Local News
Generic money printed 3-159532.jpg98331883

PROVO (News4Utah)- A man is behind bars after police say he was producing counterfeit dollar bills.

Officers say Jack Daniel Levistski is facing charges of forgery for producing the 50 and 100 dollar bills.

Provo detectives say the bills passed the “pen” test. (The pen test is a pen that contains an iodine solution that reacts with the starch in wood-based paper to create a black stain. When applied to real bills no discoloration happens, according to howstuffworks.com

Officers say Levistski produced the bills by altering authentic bills of lesser value.

The Secret Service has some tips on what to do if you receive a counterfeit bill. They say the first thing you should do is contact your local police department. Provo Police can be reached at 801-852-6255. You may also call your  local U.S. Secret Service Office.

They also recommend you write your initials and date in the white border area of the suspected counterfeit note. Place it inside a protective cover, a plastic bag, or envelope to protect it until you place it in the hands of an IDENTIFIED Secret Service Agent.

It is important you only give the bill to a police officer or Secret Service Agent. You may also mail it to the nearest U.S. Secret Service field office. If you just pass it along to someone else you could be accused of committing a serious crime.

The Secret Service website says “there is no financial remuneration for the return of the counterfeit bill, but it is doing the ‘right thing’ to help combat counterfeiting.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Transfer of Power

FULL COVERAGE: Transfer of Power