SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah (ABC4 Utah) – Due to possible arson, a new South Salt Lake restaurant slated to open next week will have to wait, firefighters say.
At 2:00 a.m. Tuesday, the Salt Salt Lake Fire Department said they received a call from someone reporting flames coming from a building near 900 West 2500 South.
That building is currently under renovation. The new owner spoke to ABC4 Utah’s Brittany Johnson off camera and said he’s opening a restaurant.
Investigators believe someone, or a group of people, broke the windows to the building and threw an object inside — sparking part of the building to go up in flames.
Officials are working with the owner of the restaurant to review surveillance footage. They hope the cameras outside of the building were working and caught the suspect(s).