LOGAN, Utah (AP) — A Utah man has pleaded guilty to killing and sexually assaulting his 5-year-old niece.
Alex Whipple entered his guilty pleas to murder, kidnapping and rape Tuesday during a hearing in Logan, Utah. As part of the agreement, charges of obstruction of justice and desecration of a body were dismissed.
Police say he killed Elizabeth “Lizzy” Shelley on May 25, after his sister let him spend the night at the family home. Lizzy was missing for five days before her body was found in a heavily wooded area less than a block from her home.
The 21-year-old Whipple is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 24.
Prosecutors had previously agreed not to pursue the death penalty after Whipple gave his lawyer a map of where to find Lizzy’s body.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Photos show Lebanon before and after explosion
- The Justice Files: $10,000 reward offered to help solve cold cases
- CDC advises parents to look out for polio-like condition in children
- Utah nears 1,000 wildfires this season, BYU students create a system to detect fires early
- Harris to Wolf: Fed agents deployed for political reasons?