PIMA COUNTY, Ariz. (ABC4 News) – A man accused of child rape out of Provo was arrested in Arizona.
Daniel Gomez, 30, previously of Provo, was charged with two counts of child rape and one count of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, all first-degree felonies.
According to an affidavit filed in support of an arrest warrant, Gomez was charged after a 14-year-old girl gave birth to a child in Provo in 2013. A Division of Child Family Services caseworker interviewed the girl who disclosed that she had sex with Gomez on two separate occasions when she was 13 years old.
Charging documents indicate Provo police believe the instances of abuse occurred between May and August 2012.
Gomez is currently in the Pima County Jail in Arizona awaiting extradition back to Utah.
If convicted of the charges, Gomez faces 65 years to life in prison.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Mandatory evacuations no longer in effect due to wildfire burning above Olympus Cove on SLC’s East bench
- Firefighters battling 2-alarm structure fire in South Salt Lake
- 2 firefighters help deliver baby boy in California parking lot
- Firefighters battle 2 wildfires in Tooele County
- Hospitalizations on the rise; area hospitals struggle with staffing