Newsfore Opt-In Form

Two dogs die from heat stroke in Utah Co.

Local News

AMERICAN FORK, Utah (News4Utah) An American Fork veterinarian warns pet owners after two dogs died of heat stroke. 

Dr. Samuel Rivera said they were left outside in the extreme heat before the owners brought them into Utah Veterinary Hospital. In all, four dogs suffering from heat stress sought medical treatment Monday. 

A five-year-old pug and two-year-old boxer did not survive. 

“It was bad, it was very unfortunate,” Dr. Rivera said.

One dog was outside camping, the other left in a yard. By the time their owners realized something was wrong, it was too late. 

“The owners were very heartbroken just to find out this is the reason why their pets died,” Dr. Rivera said. 

The first warning sign, according to Dr. Rivera, is excessive panting that gets in the way of breathing, followed by lethargy, vomiting, seizures, and death. 

Dr. Rivera warns anytime the mercury hits 85 degrees or higher take precautions. He prefers pets indoors with air conditioning. At the very least, under the shade with plenty of water. It’s common sense often ignored during the hottest part of the year. 

American Fork Police tell News4Utah they are investigating the deaths.  

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Hide Custom HTML H2 CSS