DUCHESNE, Utah (News4Utah) – Three teenagers are being held at the Split Mountain Youth Detention Center in connection with an incident Thursday that led to a lockdown at two Duchesne schools.
Thursday, a group of students told Duchesne High School Principal they had heard an attack was about to take place similar to the 1999 massacre at Columbine High School.
The students to the principal the names of three students involved in planning the attack and specifically mentioned Columbine, according to Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies found one small knife each on two of the teens. Deputies say they also found one hand-drawn diagram of how to build of an explosive device and another with plans for building an improvised firearm. No firearms or explosives were found after a search of the building.
Detectives interviewed the three teens separately. The boys were cooperative, Duchesne County Sheriff’s Lt. Dela Rowley said, “but didn’t think this was a big deal.” While discussing the plan with investigators, one teen said he was supposed to be “the shooter” and the other two teens were “the bombers,” according to Rowley. The boys also told detectives they had been bullied in the past, she said.
Search warrants were executed Thursday night on the boys’ bedrooms. Investigators seized cellphones, tablets and “anything that connects to the Internet,” Rowley said.
All of the seized electronics were taken to the Utah State Crime Lab on Friday for analysis.
The teens ages, 15,14, and 14 have been referred to 8th District Juvenile Court on one count each of threat of terrorism. The sheriff’s investigation is ongoing. Because of their ages their names have not been released.
Anyone with information about the incident should contact his office at 435-738-2015.