SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Salt Lake City police have a message for residents, lock your car and take your keys with you.
The department is dealing with a number of stolen vehicles recently.
In the last two weeks, Detectives looked into 22 reports of stolen vehicles. Officers say, #dontgiveyourcaraway.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau says nearly 82-thousand cars were stolen last year. All had keys taken with the vehicle.
- DO lock your doors and roll up your windows when you park.
- DON’T use the console or glove box as a mobile lockbox — car prowlers report they will pry into locked boxes.
- DO activate your security system.
- DON’T leave a running car unattended. This creates an opportunity for criminals.
- DO consider window tinting as allowed by law.
- DON’T leave cell phones, cell phone chargers, purses and other indicators of valuables in plain sight. It provides an incentive for criminals.
- DO use a steering lock or another device to visibly disable the steering column.
- DON’T leave your key in the ignition just because you have remote access.
- DO park in a well-lighted space.
- DON’T leave your car title in the car.