SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) – Salt Lake City Mayor, Erin Mendenhall, declared a local emergency, signing a third emergency proclamation in response to a 5.7 earthquake Wednesday morning.
This allows her to exercise emergency powers to assist Salt Lake City citizens to better address the emergency.
“Signing this declaration will help us to ensure that Salt Lake City is able to access both state and federal funding that we might need in the wake of today’s earthquakes,” Mendenhall said.
The declaration allows the city to request assistance available in terms of this emergency from all federal, state and local sources and lets Mayor Mendenhall activate mutual aid agreements.
- Granite School District offers free summer meals for kids and teens
- Authorities ask public to avoid Bridal Veil Falls as avalanche debris creates safety hazard
- Over 8,000 boats in Utah inspected for invasive aquatic species during Memorial Day weekend
- Utah’s 100 Deadliest Days: Officials say the period of greatest traffic deaths has begun
- Utah animal rescue busy saving illegally dumped ducks, many just weeks old